News and views, and history and humor, about the lake I love.

"I can hear my granddad's stories of the storms out on Lake Erie, where vessels and cargos and fortunes, and sailors' lives were lost." ~ James Taylor, Millworker

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Island Splendor

I had the opportunity to head out to to South Bass Island this past weekend and was able to snap some nice shots. I'll share a few with you in this post. On Saturday I climbed aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Neah Bay as we headed out about ten miles out for a ceremony commemorating those who died in the Battle of Lake Erie. I posted briefly on that and will have more for you later this week. But for now, enjoy these pics.

If you follow my blog you know that I reported on and posted photos of a blue Amphicar I spotted at the boat show in Huron earlier this summer. This red one, from what I was told, is owned by someone who resides at Put-in-Bay. On Saturday they were tooling around the harbor. Last I saw it the car was driving ashore on Gibraltar Island.
The South Bass Island Light sits majestically on the west side of South Bass Island, looking out over the waters of Lake Erie, with a Miller Boat Line ferry and a small boat nearby.
A bright red buoy bounces gently in the lake with uninhabited Green Island in the background.
The imposing granite edifice of the Perry's Monument and International Peace Memorial displays scaffolding, announcing to the world it's still being renovated. Park Service officials hope to see the observation deck open to visitors by summer.
Many took advantage of OSU's open house of its research facility at Gibraltar Island. Two boats carried a regular stream of visitors to the island. Here one of them cruises past a trimaran.
The high cliffs that are a feature of the north side of Gibraltar Island are apparent in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment