News and views, and history and humor, about the lake I love.

"I can hear my granddad's stories of the storms out on Lake Erie, where vessels and cargos and fortunes, and sailors' lives were lost." ~ James Taylor, Millworker

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Statue of young fisherman graces downtown Port Clinton


I've been wanting to post a pic of the new statue at the corner of North Madison and Perry streets in Port Clinton depicting a small boy proudly displaying a fish he'd just caught. The boy stands on a two-tier pedestal that bears a plaque reading, "Kiwanis Club of Port Clinton, Est. 1920."

Bravo to the Kiwanis Club for coughing up about $11,000 for the project, which was mostly donated by club members, although some non-members also chipped in. Mayor Debbie Hymore-Tester unveiled the statue earlier this month.

Joan Bryden, the president of the Kiwanis Club, told the Port Clinton News-Herald the idea of a child fishing came to her one day while she sat on her porch and some 12- or 13-year-old boys walked by her, ready to go fishing.

I like it. It reminds me of my own youth and all the fishing I did; all those perch I caught. There's something timeless about it. And it's a lot better than having another walleye in town.

There will be a naming contest for the boy soon. Bryden said the name will be announced at this year's Walleye Drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment